With a taste of Spring today, here in New York, I am ready for some easy weeknight meals. This colorful Sheet Pan Za’atar Chicken and Vegetables dish is definitely one of this busy mama’s favorites. It’s a quick and easy combination of staple ingredients I always have on hand – skinless chicken breast, carrots, onions and chickpeas.
As many of you know when the warm weather begins to peek through and the birds begin to sing – I would much rather be in the garden that in the kitchen. Sheet pan meals help me get a nutritious meal on the table and still allow me to spend most of my day playing in the dirt.
Here are a few time saving tips to help you get this quick and easy sheet pan meal on the table in seemingly a blink of the eye:
First: prepare your chicken and the marinade the night before. Let it soak up all the goodness while you get your beauty sleep. I like to do this part of the meal prep right before I clean the kitchen for the night. I pop the chicken and marinade in my favorite glass storage containers and let the magic happen.
Second: clean and prep your vegetables in the morning. Be sure to cut the carrots, onions, broccoli florets and cauliflower florets all similar in size to insure they roast at an even rate.
Next: assemble your sheet pan with vegetables and marinaded chicken. Cover and store in your refrigerator until you are ready to pop it in the oven.
Having it ready to go will save you from that “oh shit, what time is it!” – Where did the day go moment. Getting lost in my garden happens often – Planning ahead definitely saves me.
Last: while your sheet pan meal is roasting – you can toss together a quick salad or whip up my favorite Homemade Lemon Iced Tea to complete this easy meal.
Sheet Pan Za’atar Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp. za’atar seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, quartered
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 2 cups quartered red potatoes (about 1-inch in size)
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion, quartered
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- Combine lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, za’atar seasoning, salt, and chicken breasts in a zip-top bag. Refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil evenly over a large baking sheet or short-sided roasting pan. Remove chicken pieces from marinade and place on baking sheet; discard marinade. Arrange chickpeas, potatoes, carrots, red onion, cauliflower, and broccoli around chicken.
- Roast chicken and vegetable at 425° for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are roasted.
- Sprinkle with additional za’atar, salt, and pepper, if desired.
If you have never used Za’atar – it is definitely a blend you want to experiment with. I find myself sprinkling it on lots of meals. Learn all about Za’atar here. What it is – how to eat it – where to buy it and how to make your own blend.
There is always something else you can be doing while dinner is cooking. I personally love a meal that can be fully prepped in the morning (or even the night before) and thrown in the oven 40 minutes before serving – All while I check things off my to do list (or play in the garden). ; )
I hope this recipe helps you get a nutritious meal on the table for your family and it helps you free up some very valuable time for yourself.